Saturday, January 9, 2010

In which there is lots of skiing

Thanks for the responses about non-profit work in Denver. I'm waiting to hear back from Colorado Legal Services. They are "intrigued" by my situation. I think that's a good sign, right?

I drove up to Boulder Wednesday night to do dinner and a movie with my cousins, Ches and Lizzie. We ate at a pub and saw Nine. I enjoyed Nine, but didn't think it was the greatest movie ever made. I was super-impressed by Fergie and Kate Hudson's singing voice (girl can sing). Ches and I decided we should take advantage of our "funemployment" and go skiing on Friday. So we went up to Keystone and had a lovely, easy ski day. Bright blue skies and uncrowded trails. Since Ches is even newer to skiing than I am, we did mostly stuck with the easier blues, though we did venture in some harder territory. It was low-key and soothing. I felt like I knew what I was doing.

Today was a totally different experience. I went skiing with Jake and some of his friends. The friends are very good snowboarders. When I ski with them, I always feel that I am stretching my ability. This is both a good and bad thing. We did a few blues that I felt very good on, then did a blue/black with a ton of moguls on a steep wall. Snowboarders have an easier time on moguls; they can sort of just scoot their way down if necessary. I had to actually maneuver, which made me very slow. We then did an "off the map" trail. It was narrow, steep and had bumps. I was a disaster. I fell, twice. And cursed, a lot. I pitched a bit of a fit, but eventually made it down. I think I need another lesson, either with an instructor or with Lizzie (who once trained for the Olympic mogul team). Hopefully, that will make me more comfortable on those sorts of trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment